Image Map

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Pee Bags and Blood work

As I mentioned yesterday, I finally heard back from Hamilton (on Monday) regarding Lylah. Unfortunately I still don't have an appointment date, but at least we have a "foot in the door".
The receptionist was great. She said that the doctor would like blood work done prior to the appointment and  that she would just fax the requisition to the lab of my choice..
Yikes! How do I pick which lab I want to take her? If it was for me, that would be one thing.. I really don't care who is jabbing the needle into me. For my baby though, I want the best!
I quickly gave her the name of the lab that I usually use, and that was that. I just had to cross my fingers that they were as good with babies as they always have been with me..

We dropped Gracie off at school on Tuesday morning and went straight to the lab... My heart was beating a thousand beats a minute and I felt sick to my stomach, but I knew that I had to be tough for Lylah.
I felt so mean because she had no clue what she was in for as we walked through those doors.
Luckily (amazingly) there was no one else in the lab. We got the attention of all of the technicians..
It's funny you know, when we walked in, I could see the look on their faces change, and I knew they were thinking "OH NO A BABY!" To be honest, I was thinking the same thing.
They took us right back and just had me hold her on my lap..
I was surprised that they did everything pretty much the same as they do to us.. Elastic band, and arm up on the pad. They started tapping her little arm, which I am assuming was to bring the best vein to the surface.
After a few minutes, they found THE ONE!!
I couldn't watch. I rested my face on the top of her little head as I stroked her face and told her she was a big girl. I felt her jump a little and thought to myself, "here we go". But that was it.. She didn't make another sound. There were 3 technicians standing there prepared to do what it took to keep her calm and they all just looked at each other in awe.
This was a piece of cake!! Until I heard the technician (who was drawing the blood) let out a big sigh and ask "is it coming?" And then another sigh, and another,, and then I hear "it collapsed, we'll have to try the other arm."
I wanted to scream! Are you kidding me?? They couldn't have made sure that they did it properly in the first place? I understand things happen, but COME ON, she 1!!!!!
So, we start the whole process over! Again, my little princess didn't make a sound. She sat there like a little angel and didn't say boo! At one point she looked up at them all with this look on her face like "what the hell are you doing to me?".. they all laughed.

So, my princess was the strong one, which is a good thing, because I was a mess! If she would have cried and screamed, I think it would have put me RIGHT over the edge..
Watching vial after vial of my little girls blood being taken away almost killed me. It just isn't right for someone so young to have to go through that. I must have gone really pale because the nurse looked at me and said "Mommy are you going to be okay?". I was fine, but it was touch and go there for a minute... lol

This little thing is not my best friend right now!!
The technician also told me that they needed a urine sample. They said that I could just get it at home and bring it back when I managed to get it. Managed being the key word!
Does anyone have any idea how hard it is to get a urine sample from a 1 year old?? They gave me these little collection bags, that I basically have to stick to her and pray that the pee goes in the bag..
Meanwhile, I also have to pray that the bag doesn't fall off or that she doesn't pull it off,, or that if the pee goes in, the pee stays in when I try to take it off!! Yep, it's been a lot of fun. I've now gone through 5 little bags, and still have no sample!!
I'm open to tips and suggestions, because if I don't get a sample, I'm not going to get an appointment date. Either that or they will have to use a catheter to get the sample.. Please someone help!!!!

I guess all of this progress is a good thing. We're one step closer to getting our appointment date and meeting a doctor. At the same time though, I can't help but hate that we're one step closer because it feels like we're one step closer to finding out that there is something wrong with our baby, That is something i don't think that I'm ready for. Yes I want answers, and yes I want her to get help,, but I just don't think I'm strong enough to deal with hearing the answers that they might give us.

So, thats my day with Lylah. Please keep in mind that this all happened on the same day as my Mirena insertion.. You can imagine how I felt by the end of it!
Tomorrows post will be how this day ended!!!

Anyone with any tips or suggestions as to how to use those flippin' pee bags,, please HELP!!
Thanks in advance!!!


Sadie said...

Our oldest had one of these pee bags in the hospital after a vicious bout of vomiting and diarrhea. In the hospital they stuck it right to her skin, I assume it is this kind. After it was "secure" they put a diaper on her so that it couldn't really go anywhere. Next, lots of juice and popsicles. They didn't have any luck collecting. We were sent home and told to keep it on through a nap/sleep time because kids generally wake-up wet. So - my thought would be put it on right before nap time and diaper over top for protection. Good luck!

Sarah said...

Thanks Sadie.. I have literally tried everything... We always put it under her diaper and then pants/pjs because she pulls at anything even her diaper... For some reason, it just won't stay stuck!!! Even when she just lays sleeping..
Its very very frustrating!!

Mandy said...

I went through the whole 'pee bag' ordeal with both Brooke and Lauren - Lauren was around the same age as Lylah at the time. Unfortunately I don't have any new effective tips to share with you. Just for god sakes make sure you get a sample in the bag! DO NOT let them use a catheter on her!! Brooke almost had to have a catheter once, luckily she ended up peeing in one of those brown hospital 'hats'. But the nurse that day told me that for her to have a catheter at her age would be EXTREMELY painful and tramatic. I also know someone who's daughter had to have a catheter inserted for urine collection at the age of three, she said it was the most tramatic experience of her life. So stick to your guns and keep rooting for the bag. I know Lauren wouldn't pee with it on, she held it for hours on top of hours. But she had to let it out at some point. Just make sure you check it often, and check it the second after she has a bowel movement - if the sample gets contaminated in any way, you'll have to start all over again.

Wish you all the best of luck, Sarah.
I know how difficult it is to go through this with your innocent little angel, it's so tough!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Design by Danielle's Designs